Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!


It has been quite a while since I've posted here, and I'm grateful for the chance to do so now. Last week I was asked to write on the importance of the Book of Mormon in the context of our stake president's challenge to finish it from start to finish by the end of the year. I have included that blurb here. Enjoy!

Shortly after I moved into the ward we had stake conference, which was my first opportunity to hear from our Stake President. I was impressed by the power that he emanated from the pulpit, and could tell that he is a man of god who truly loves for and cares about each one of us individually. I don't try to understand how he can have such a love, but I can see it in his eyes, and know that he has it. In his stake conference address President Todd gave out some challenges, and at this point I was ready to listen. he challenged us to pay heed to the promptings of the Spirit, with the promise that we would be "richly" blessed. He said that if we honor God, he will honor us. He also made a very specific challenge: finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, and you will have greater desire to do good.

I took this challenge to heart, and am currently (12/24/10) finishing up the final chapters. This promise, like the others, is an "if-then" statement, wherein if we do something, we will then get something in return. President Todd's Book of Mormon promise had a time-line to it, which would cause one to believe that my "greater desire to do good" would not come until after I fully completed the task, However, this is not so. I have seen myself have a greater desire to do good as I have faithfully read the Book of Mormon. More specifically, this desire to better serve I believe has increased when I truly gave time to studying and cherishing the Book of Mormon, and really feeling the power that the book contains.

In completing this challenge I received a confirmation of the testimony that the Gospel is not a passive one. We should not wait for the blessings to flow if they've been promised contingent upon doing something.

"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."
--D & C 58: 27-28--

I know that as we anxiously go about doing those things which we've been asked to do, the Lord will bless us, granting us the most righteous desires of our hearts.

--Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment