Sunday, January 30, 2011

Adequate Motivation


And ye may know that he is, by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore I would exhort you that ye deny not the power of God; for he worketh by power, according to the faith of the children of men, the same today and tomorrow, and forever. --Moroni 10: 7

Today I would like to focus on the reason why it is so important to serve others with real, sincere intent, with meekness and love unfeigned (D & C 121: 41). My words will be a conceptualization of Moroni's words found in Moroni 10, the final chapter in the Book of Mormon. Like most of the Book of Moroni, chapter 10 has special significance for me, because Moroni wrote in the shadow of his pursuers, not knowing when they might take his life (Moroni 1: 1). Knowing that the Lord preserved Moroni for me gives special purpose to what he wrote. So why not study Moroni in greater depth?

And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men, to profit them. --Moroni 10: 8

The above verses (7 & 8) give me an idea that God, who is infinitely powerful, manifests his power in such sublime, subtle ways that we must be in touch with the Spirit (the purveyor of God's power) to understand that we are constantly being blessed. This is ever salient for our talents, which we receive by many different means, for our benefit. How comforting it is to know that all that I receive is for my benefit!

For behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom;

And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

And again, to another, that he may work mighty miracles;

And again, to another, that he may prophesy concerning all things;

And again, to another, the beholding of angels and ministering spirits;

And again, to another, all kinds of tongues;

And again, to another, the interpretation of languages and of divers kinds of tongues.

And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will.

And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.

Verses 9-18 outline examples of different gifts that we receive. A couple of aspects of this passage are of particular comfort to me: 1) "every man [and woman]" is entitled to receive gifts from God if they are willing to receive them, and 2) all these gifts come from Christ, the "fountain of all righteousness" (Ether 12: 28). These two facts give me adequate motivation to continue serving others, knowing that if they let their lives become subsumed in the Lord's will, they will be able to profit of the Lord, and be blessed, enabled to bless the lives of others around them. This gives me adequate motivation to work to reveal strengths in even those who seem to have none.

And I would exhort you, my beloved brethren, that ye remember that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that all these gifts of which I have spoken, which are spiritual, never will be done away, even as long as the world shall stand, only according to the unbelief of the children of men. --Moroni 10: 19

It comforts me to know that God will never change, which includes his perfect love for all of us. He will always bless us as we let him enter into our lives. It takes faith to live as though Heavenly Father has already blessed us (though, in my experience, he has but we fail to notice it), and hope that he will bless us with those things that we need in the very hour when we need them. It takes charity to see this same manifestation and potential manifestation in others, and then faith and hope again as we serve them to the best of our abilities.

I have found this to be so as I strive in good faith to learn how to help individuals who have strayed from the safe path, or whose path was never explicitly defined before them. It is my faith that a God who doesn't love me more than those I serve is willing to grant them blessings similar to those outlined by Moroni; however, sometimes it takes an extra exertion of faith, hope, and charity that others might be able to arrive at a point where they "deny not the gifts of God." It takes someone who can see those gifts, and the pattern of behavior necessary that enables accessing those gifts. Although individuals with special needs or mental illness have trouble accessing the gifts of God, it is my faith that all have strengths foreordained unto them by a loving and just Heavenly Father. This provides me adequate motivation to strive to find strengths in those in the direst of circumstances.

And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles. --Mormon 9: 19

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment