Sunday, September 19, 2010

What to do with the Rising Generation


In Mosiah Chapter 26, we read about a "rising generation" in the church which was too young to understand and be converted by the words of King Benjamin, which rose up in rebellion of the Gospel. They refused to believe, refused to be baptized, and refused to congregate with the body of the church. They also coaxed many people out of the church, "deceiv[ing] many with their flattering words."

This dissension from the church caused Alma to institute church disciplinary action, which he had up to this not had occasion to do. Perhaps thinking that the wrongs of the church members to be more civil in nature, he sent them first before Mosiah to be judged of their iniquities. Mosiah volleyed this attempt, however, telling Alma "I judge them not." Alma thus found himself in a pickle: he was left to figure out what to do with those of the rising generation, uncomfortable in passing judgment, but knowing that these people had to be judged by someone, for justice had to be served.

Now before we go on with the story, think about times in which you've felt the same way: needing to make a decision on something, but feeling completely unqualified to make it. Decisions like these are never easy, and never convenient; however, perhaps there is learning that takes place after exercising faith in a positive outcome.

For me, a salient example was choosing to move back to Utah to start graduate school. I had only applied to BYU as a "fall back," not really intending on getting my doctorate in the same institution where I received my Bachelor's degree. I wanted to go make a name for myself somewhere else in the world, and possibly return to Provo one day to teach or consult. However, when faced with the decision of either returning to BYU or waiting a year to try the application process over again (I could not, in the end, see myself at any of the other schools where I interviewed), starting graduate school seemed the right move for me. I came to this conclusion the same way that Alma came to his:

And now the spirit of Alma was again troubled; and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God.
And it came to pass that after he had poured out his whole soul to God, the voice of the Lord came to him, saying:
Blessed art thou, Alma, and blessed are they who were baptized in the waters of Mormon. Thou art blessed because of thy exceeding faith in the words alone of my servant Abinadi.
And blessed are they because of their exceeding faith in the words alone which thou hast spoken unto them.
And blessed art thou because thou hast established a church among this people; and they shall be established, and they shall be my people.
Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine.
And because thou hast inquired of me concerning the transgressor, thou art blessed.

...Therefore I say unto you, Go; and whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye judgeaccording to the sins which he has committed; and if he confess his sins before thee and me, and repenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye forgive, and I will forgive him also.
Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me.
And ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor’s trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation.
Now I say unto you, Go; and whosoever will not repent of his sins the same shall not be numbered among my people; and this shall be observed from this time forward. (Mosiah 26: 13-19, 29-32)

In response to this revelation, Alma judges those in the church of their iniquities, and allows the repentant to be put back into good standing in the church. For those who would not repent, their names were "blotted out." Alma goes on to authoritatively lead the church from that point forward, exhorting and admonishing to "pray without ceasing, and to give thanks in all things."

I personally am grateful for the power of prayer, and how it helps me deal with the dilemmas in my life. Oftentimes we already know the answers to our questions (as perhaps Alma did), but praying "with [our] whole soul" is what brings clarity. Showing this level of humility is what shows the Lord that we know we really need His help. Such a turning to Heaven helps put the Atonement into effect, and I am grateful for this simple fact, as it enables progression here on earth, and on into the eternities.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Weird! The Visiting Teaching message this month is on the same thing!

    ReplyDelete