Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Can ye Feel So Now?"


And again I ask, were the bands of death broken, and the chains of hell which encircled them about, were they loosed? I say unto you, Yea, they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did sing redeeming love. And I say unto you that they are saved.

...And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

...And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?
--Alma 5: 9, 14, 26

I love Alma the Younger's words to the people in the land where he served. Alma was at this time the high priest of the Church of God, recently renouncing the judgment seat, devoting himself to the judgment of the Lord. He went out to the people who had been converted, and who perhaps were hit with a bit of complacency over time. These people had experienced deliverance; the Book of Mosiah was devoted to it. And as Alma saw it, they should have retained in remembrance this deliverance, both physical and spiritual, as well as the mercy that the Lord had towards them (Alma 5:6).

How often is it that we get complacent? How quick are we to forget out conversion, and all the little experiences that strengthen our testimonies, forgetting that "all things denote that there is a God?" (Alma 30:44) Speaking for myself, I know that it is all too often that this occurs. Yes, this is inevitable as we are all imperfect beings with imperfect bodies; our brain in its current state is only capable of taking in, recording, and integrating so much. However, basic neuroscience would also suggest that neural pathways that are used consistently and over time are strengthened. In the context of Alma's words, we should constantly put into practice our testimonies, that we may always sing the song of redeeming love in tune with He who has power to fuel it.

Like with the people of Alma the Younger (and also the people of Alma and King Benjamin and Abinadi before him, as well as all the believers of the words of the prophets), the song of redemption is sung as we face the music, in tune with the Great Composer, finally understanding the notes, the beat, and the rhythm that make up this Eternal Song. We know we understand when we receive feelings of "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, [and] faith." (Gal 5:22)In the May 1999 Ensign, Elder Dallin H. Oaks said the following regarding how we feel to sing, speaking of the "burning" feeling in our hearts:

What does a “burning in the bosom” mean? Does it need to be a feeling of caloric heat, like the burning produced by combustion? If that is the meaning, I have never had a burning in the bosom. Surely, the word “burning” in this scripture signifies a feeling of comfort and serenity. That is the witness many receive. That is the way revelation works.

Truly, the still, small voice is just that, “still” and “small.”

“The language of peace, as spoken by the Lord, embraces a sense of quiet confidence, comfort, and warmth. It is gentle and calm, amiable and sweet; it is temperate and kind; it is orderly and identified by happiness, joy, and feelings of love” (Joseph Fielding McConkie and Robert L. Millet, The Holy Ghost [1989], 14).

For me personally, I would add excitement and motivation to the definition of "burning in the bosom". I feel as though I can do anything the Lord asks of me, and feel like I can be an instrument in His hands. For me there is an energy to move forward in faith, a great positivity that I can tell comes from the source of all that which is positive. I feel much like the Apostle Peter, who, impetuous as he was, performed many miracles in the Lord's name. He did falter at times, but was not afraid to do so. He held in his sights what was truly important, being obedience to the Lord's commands. I hope that we can all gain this excitement for the Gospel and its redeeming power, and work to fill our lives with the Godly, that we may learn to never forget His redeeming song.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your insights on Alma 5:26.

    I've been asked to discuss Elder Quentin L. Cook's speech "Can Ye Feel So Now" from General Conference and was completely stumped about the concept of this verse. After hours of researching in the scriptures and online, your website finally gave me the "ah hah!". Just now I realize that it was so hard for me to grasp because I was one of those hard-headed people Alma was trying so hard to reach!

    Thank you! P.S. I really enjoyed the music while reading. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete