Sunday, October 25, 2009

Slow to Anger


As a budding psychologist, I have been able to draw countless corollaries between the Gospel and forging healthy interpersonal relationships. It feels neat to live my craft as I learn it, and there is no needed paradigm shift or need to be anyone but myself as I help others. The best psychologists are patient, humble, assertive, and, most importantly, full of charity.

With this as a backdrop, I have found it easy to talk with members of my cohort about these simple Gospel principles in the guise of good social science. One of these was the principle of contention vs. peace. I find that when ideological or political arguments emerge in the workplace (a natural with four headstrong upstarts), I am quicker to cede ground to others, knowing that in the end that which is discussed is of no import to the big picture, which is being able to better help others. I was able to process this with one of my co-workers, stating that a 'bad vibe' enters the room when contention arises. He agreed, adding that it doesn't solve anything.

This was the psychological answer, but oh how I wish he were ready for the spiritual answer!! The Savior has said:

For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away. --3 Nephi 11:29-30

How grateful I am for that answer, for it's something that I don't have to "figure out" on my own. It's already decided. How grateful I am as well for living prophets who remind us of these simple truths. Thomas S. Monson, Prophet and President of the LDS Church, recently said the following in General Conference:

"We’ve all felt anger. It can come when things don’t turn out the way we want. It might be a reaction to something which is said of us or to us. We may experience it when people don’t behave the way we want them to behave. Perhaps it comes when we have to wait for something longer than we expected. We might feel angry when others can’t see things from our perspective. There seem to be countless possible reasons for anger.

"...My brethren [and sisters], we are all susceptible to those feelings which, if left unchecked, can lead to anger. We experience displeasure or irritation or antagonism, and if we so choose, we lose our temper and become angry with others. Ironically, those others are often members of our own families—the people we really love the most."

"...May we be worthy sons [and daughters] of our Heavenly Father. May we ever be exemplary in our homes and faithful in keeping all of the commandments, that we may harbor no animosity toward any man but rather be peacemakers, ever remembering the Savior’s admonition, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”"


It is my hope that this week we can be a little slower to anger, and a little more patient. It is my hope that we may have a little more charity toward our fellow man (and woman), and that we may serve those whom we don't understand, being the first to act out of charity. We cannot afford to wait for others to be kind and loving towards us. We must live up to our standard. I know we all can do this as we seek the Lord's aid, that our imperfections may be helped through the great Atonement He wrought for us.

Have a great Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment