Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference Reactions

I feel really privileged to post on this blog my reaction to the words spoken at this October's General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As I sat in my living room in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, I felt a certain connection to the Brethren that I had never felt in my three full years living in close proximity to the headquarters of the Church. Listening to the messages given emboldened my faith, and strengthened me at a time when I truly needed God's revealed Word. I loved hearing Elder David A. Bednar tell us to express our love and show it, bear testimony and live it, and to be consistent. I was blown away by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf (whom I have now dubbed the "clean-up hitter") and his ability to explain doctrine so simply, in regards to the weightier matters of the soul on Saturday afternoon, and with the simple admonition to Work and Learn during Priesthood Session. And of course, I was inspired and comforted by the words of President Monson as he taught us to be a little kinder, to serve a little more, and to swim against the current. But amidst the cornucopia of inspiring messages, I would like to focus on the words of Elder Neil L. Anderson, the newest member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I know that he has received a special witness of the divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ, and it showed in his address.

Elder Anderson referenced scriptures in Jacob 6:5 and Alma 5:33 that speak of Christ's arms being extended in mercy towards those who might come unto Him. This is similar to the metaphor found in the Bible where Christ declares that he stands at the door, knocking, waiting for us to let Him in. So how do we accomplish this? Elder Anderson makes it clear: through true and sincere repentance. He even calls it a blessing, which I agree with wholeheartedly. I also believe that God's love for the repentant is "incomprehensible," which means that I cannot explain it with my analytical mind, nor can anyone ever come to understand God's love in its entirety.

However, we can understand what it feels like to know that we have been forgiven. When we have truly come unto Him and repent, it is like being engulfed in the loving arms of a dad that has come to the rescue, quelling a fright, tantrum, or any otherwise traumatic moment. Love becomes palpable, as it is felt by the recipient so overwhelmingly that it often brings the toughest and gruffest to tears. It makes us "as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon [us], even as a child doth submit to his father." (Mosiah 3:19)

But as we become willing to submit, we must continually remember that "relief and healing will come in the timetable of the Lord." The Atonement must be continually applied to our wounds, and we must accept that this is what the Lord sees fit to inflict upon us. Elder Anderson admonished us to petition the Lord to see what further changes we must make to further refine our spirit, which thing came as a revelation to me. I knew that suffering deserved the Atonement, but never realized that I could ask for revelation to know why I am suffering, with the end of future (and hopefully immediate) repentance of a revealed wrong. We all have them. We all in some way err from perfection, but are kept from being fully self-aware, rather being taught line upon line, precept upon precept (2 Nephi 28:30, Isaiah 28:10, D&C 98:12). How grateful am I for this spiritual nugget!

Suffice it to say that I was richly fed this weekend as I sat at the foot of God's chosen servants. I was moved by the words of the closing hymn sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which beckon the Lord to "refresh us, oh refresh us, traveling through this wilderness." (Lord, Dismiss us with Thy Blessing) May we never take for granted the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and always cling to its precepts, and the stars that will guide us ultimately to our Heavenly Home.

Have a Great Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment