Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Plantar Fasciitus of the Soul


Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many;
but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee,
even unto the end of thy days.
--D&C 24:8

As I continue to gain new and what seem to be increasingly more difficult experiences, I am struck by the increasing striving that it takes to feel that I'm "doing okay." By this I mean the feeling that I am in good standing with the Lord, and that I am even deserving of the richest blessings which I desire. However, I know that there is a Balm in Gilead, and it is called the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This balm, when applied in diligence and sincerity, can foster healing to the point that there is no sign of the burn caused by our iniquitous behavior and cognition. A temporal yet salient example comes from my own life just yesterday.

As a part of my often feeble efforts to get in shape, yesterday I decided to go for run. The weather was perfect: mid-70s with bright sunshine. I set out from my house with the intent of going through my neighborhood, cutting through a church parking lot, and then making a gradual rise to the side of the Provo Temple, about 2 miles round trip. However, about three minutes into my run I reached a fence where i thought there wasn't one, and was forced to make my ascent around the temple, and not directly to it. I decided that I would give this route a try, only to see a daunting task ahead of me: a steep, windy incline to the top of the bench of Y Mountain. I toiled up the hill for what seemed like forever, but persisted. I made it to the top (admittedly with a couple of stops to breathe in the thin air), and coasted for much of the return trip, passing the temple from the top, and not from the bottom as I had originally anticipated.

I made it home, ragged and dehydrated from about 30 minutes of running and hiking. As my body began to regain homeostasis, I noticed a pain in the bottom of my left arch. This pain reminded me of a running injury I sustained two years ago, developing a condition known as plantar fasciitus, where the arch of the foot experiences excess swelling when under stress. I was reminded of the pain that improper running had caused, and reminded of the consequences that I still must live with.

Now, there is a type in this story. How often is it, that as we strive to improve, strive to go through the process of cleansing, that we are reminded of our tendencies toward spiritual wear and tear? This is a natural consequence of trying to fit godliness into the ungodly. The Savior said unto Moroni:

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. --Ether 12:27

How grateful am I for this reassurance! This scripture means that if I am striving to give myself to the Savior by coming unto Him through obedience and repentance, he will show unto me my weakness. The Savior's people are a humble people, whether they decide to humble themselves, or if they are compelled to humility through trial and tribulation. For "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. (Matt. 19:24; Mark 10:25)."

I know that we receive trials as a consequence of the perfect love of God towards us. Trials are necessary in the Eternal Plan of Happiness, a Plan which has each and every one of us living with God again, taking up our first estate in the Kingdom of Heaven. I am grateful that I cannot know what God knows, for in such ignorance I may be led by faith on the Savior, ever striving to put off the natural man in favor of a new creature. Let us remember that He is always with us, and be patient through our many afflictions. If we do so, one day we WILL be able to say that we were able to give all of ourselves, and at last we could do so without the pain of imperfection returning. May we be faithful until that day arrives!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment