Sunday, October 24, 2010

Emulating Amulek

A couple of months ago my stake (BYU 2nd) received the charge to read the Book of Mormon from start to finish before the end of the year. I was lucky enough to have already started doing so, and have slowly and steadily made my way through the middle of the Book of Alma. It has been a rewarding experience as I re-learn many of the stories quickly forgotten, and re-firm my testimony of the doctrines found therein. This week my mind turned toward Amulek, the traveling companion of Alma the Younger. Amulek was a man who was truly converted to the Gospel, preaching and teaching from Ammonihah to Sidom to Antionum, testifying of plain and simple truths pertaining to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Amulek was a man who knew; it is my prayer that we too may gain his testimony.

Amulek was well-known among his peers in Ammonihah, relating to them that he had " many kindreds and friends," and "also acquired much riches by the hand of [his] industry." (Alma 10:4) Amulek then relates:

"Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
"Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart." (Alma 10: 5-6)

He then explains that he finally did hear, being visited by an angel of the Lord who told him he would receive a prophet of the Lord. Amulek finally learned, and thereafter did not waiver. He received Alma, and taught with the same power for many years. None of his words which we have are more representative of this than those he spake to the humble of the Zoramites in Alma 34:

"Behold, I say unto you, that I do know that Christ shall come among the children of men, to take upon him the transgressions of his people, and that he shall atone for the sins of the world; for the Lord God hath spoken it.
For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement which it is expedient should be made.
For it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice; yea, not a sacrificean, neither of beast, neither of any manner of fowl; for it shall not be a human sacrifice; but it must be an infinite and eternal sacrifice.

"...And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.
of m
And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety, while he that exercises no faith unto repentance is exposed to the whole law of the demands of justice; therefore only unto him that has faith unto repentance is brought about the great and eternal plan of redemption.
Therefore may God grant unto you, my brethren, that ye may begin to exercise your faith unto repentance, that ye begin to call upon his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you;

"... For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.
And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed. (Alma 34: 8-10, 15-17, 32-33)

When I think of Amulek and his conversion, I also think of Saul of Tarsus, who on the way to Damascus received a visitation from the Lord Himself, asked the simple yet piercing question, "why persecutest thou me?" Amulek's conversion is also similar to that of his "beloved brother" Alma.

What is the common thread? These three men were all visited by heavenly messengers, called to repentance from a state of wickedness. And unlike Laman and Lemuel who did not repent, these three men turned around, and served the Church wholeheartedly and unwavering until the end.

How often do we find ourselves caught in the pride of our hearts, unwilling to heed the will of the Lord? Perhaps we are not like unto these three (Amulek was a proud and rich man; Alma and Paul actively attacked the Church and its members), but we have sins that we hold onto for dear life that keep us from progressing, keep us from being all that we can be. I know this because I've experienced it in my own life, and strive to be more aware of how I err each and every day. Common to Paul, Alma, and Amulek is also the power that the Atonement of Jesus Christ had in their lives. Do we let Christ in? Do we follow Amulek's words, letting mercy subsume the demands of justice? I know that as we strive to improve, including Christ in all our dealings that we will be able to feel this mercy.

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment