Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Power of Fasting


I am grateful to write to you today on the power of fasting. I know that this power is real, and that as we fast we are brought closer to God as we put off the natural man and seek after the Spirit in greater quantity. It works because we are forcing ourselves into a state of necessity as we go without food for a couple meals and pray for strength and purpose. There are many stories of this working (click here for a good one), and I have seen it in my own life.

I am hearkened back to the last transfer on my mission, a time when I felt I could pull down the moon if God willed it so. As a zone leader I had a good amount of control over what went on with my missionaries, and my companion and I decided to institute two special days during the six-week transfer cycle where the zone would fast for what they needed the most relative to the work they were performing. My companion and I also decided to fast every Sunday that the work might move forward. I am happy to say that it did! For those who were faithful to our edict, success came. And in the least-populated zone in the entire mission, I got on the plane for California leaving the zone with the most baptismal commitments. And almost more importantly, I left the mission with a testimony of fasting, as I hope also my zone members did.

Fasting and praying shows the Lord that we are looking toward Him, asking that his will be executed as we try to align ours with his. A great scriptural example of this is found in Mosiah, as Alma the Elder and his people fast for the recovery of his son, Alma:

And he [Alma the Elder] caused that the priests should assemble themselves together; and they began to fast, and to pray to the Lord their God that he would open the mouth of Alma, that he might speak, and also that his limbs might receive their strength—that the eyes of the people might be opened to see and know of the goodness and glory of God.
And it came to pass after they had fasted and prayed for the space of two days and two nights, the limbs of Alma received their strength, and he stood up and began to speak unto them, bidding them to be of good comfort:
For, said he, I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.
And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;
And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. (Mosiah 27: 22-26)
When we fast, we should also give an offering to the poor and needy, at least equal to what we would have spent on the two meals we skipped. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said:

When we fast, brethren and sisters, we feel hunger. And for a short time, we literally put ourselves in the position of the hungry and the needy. As we do so, we have greater understanding of the deprivations they might feel. When we give to the bishop an offering to relieve the suffering of others, we not only do something sublime for others, but we do something wonderful for ourselves as well. King Benjamin taught that as we give of our substance to the poor, we retain “a remission of [our] sins from day to day.” ( “The Law of the Fast,” Liahona, Jul 2001, 88–91)
Our fast and fast offerings have a powerful effect on those in need, as Elder Wirthlin went on to illustrate:

I remember visiting one family in particular: a sickly mother, an unemployed and discouraged father, and five children with pallid faces, all disheartened and hungry. I remember the gratitude that beamed in their faces when I walked up to their door with my wagon nearly spilling over with needed supplies. I remember how the children smiled. I remember how the mother wept. And I remember how the father stood, head bowed, unable to speak.

These impressions and many others forged within me a love for the poor, a love for my father who served as a shepherd to his flock, and a love for the faithful and generous members of the Church who sacrificed so much to help relieve the suffering of others.

Brothers and sisters, in a sense, you too can bring to a needy family a wagon brimming with hope. How? By paying a generous fast offering.

Parents, teach your children the joys of a proper fast. And how do you do that? The same as with any gospel principle—let them see you live it by your example. Then help them live the law of the fast themselves, little by little. They can fast and they can also pay a fast offering if they choose. As we teach our children to fast, it can give them the power to resist temptations along their life’s journey.

I have a strong testimony of the power of fasting, and the difference it can make in the lives of those who are in need, be it physically, mentally, emotionally, or spiritually. I would encourage you this day to think of someone in need, and pray for them as you fast. Therein will blessings come to the needy soul, which includes your own. As the most needy in many ways, I can testify to that.

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment