Sunday, March 14, 2010

Having Moral Courage


In this month's Ensign, the First Presidency Message is entitled "Moral Courage," written by President Henry B. Eyring. In the article, President Eyring outlines the ways we can stay diligent even in the face of the most taxing adversity. These basic things give us courage to move forward, and faith in true principles which grant us hope for a better world in the future. The "helps" that Elder Eyring cites are as follows:

The Atonement of Jesus Christ
We have great helps to give us courage in this life. The greatest is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Because of what He did, sins can be washed away in the waters of baptism. We can renew that blessing when we partake of the sacrament in faith and with a repentant heart.
I am glad that President Eyring listed this one first. It is the obvious first line of support. How grateful am I for the sacrifice the Savior wrought for me and you, taking upon Himself the sins of all people, in all times, and for all worlds. It does make me shrink to think how much I still have to learn in regards to apply this supernal gift. The Savior lives. I know that if we turn to Him, we will be blessed against the fiery darts of the adversary, he who would have us for his own. Remember that as corporal inhabitants of this Earth, we are God's! And, if we repent, we are of his Son, as well, fit to be called heirs to eternal life.

Spiritual Gifts
Spiritual gifts are another help. We receive the Spirit of Christ at birth. That gives us the power to know when a choice before us would lead toward eternal life. The scriptures are a sure guide when we read them with the Holy Ghost as our companion.

President Eyring here displays a few different gifts, all of which lead us to have greater strength. How grateful am I to have the ethical and logical knowledge that has been granted unto me through birth in this world. The Light of Christ can be a hope when all other seems dim; however, even this light grows dim if we do not feed its fire. I like how President Eyring says that it helps us see what decisions are correct that will point us unto eternal life. How often do we think of our decisions in those terms? Perhaps this bears a little more credence than we give it; if we do, I feel that we will make more righteous decisions. If we have an eternal perspective on all our gifts, we will think about how we can use what we've been given to better serve others and build up the Kingdom of God here on earth.

The Holy Ghost
The Holy Ghost lets us express thanks and ask for help in prayer with the clarity and confidence we once enjoyed with our Heavenly Father and which we will have when we return to Him. That communication with God helps banish fear from our hearts as it builds faith and love of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

I love how he says in this portion that the Holy Ghost helps us express thanks with clarity and confidence. I think it is important to recognize the Holy Ghost as it works on us in all facets of life, for as we do so, we will in turn see the Lord's hand direct us slowly toward eternal life. How grateful I am to have the Gift of the Holy Ghost in my life. As I repent, the Holy Ghost returns, and gives me the clarity and confidence that President Eyring spoke of, but also in how to better serve as much as to better communicate with my Heavenly Father. May we all see that thankfulness, confidence, and clarity come from God, and that as we turn to the Lord in humble prayer, He will grant us the Spirit that will build faith and banish fear fro our lives.

The Priesthood
The holy priesthood gives us courage in our service. In its ordinances we receive power to serve God’s children and to withstand the influence of evil. When He calls us to serve, we have this promise: “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up” (D&C 84:88).

Lastly, we have the priesthood which gives us courage. This may be applied to those of us who are priesthood holders, as well as those of us who receive blessings from the presence of the priesthood in their lives. As a holder of the priesthood, I have noticed that this works twofold: I am given courage as I grant it unto others. I am so grateful for the promise in DyC 84:88, as well, which amazes me how I, the least of all, am able to teach with the Spirit. I am very grateful for the promise to be surrounded by angels, and I have felt being "borne up" many times inmy life. It takes the form of knowing the right thing to say for the right person in the right moment, or even doing the right thing in similar fashion. I am grateful for the chance I have to bless others, and this gives me courage to continue on through what too often is a veil of tears. But with the priesthood, there is hope to effectively apply the Atonement, and move toward eternal life.

May we all have a little more courage this week. When things get hard (as they will), may we all remember all the gifts we've been given, and work to become a little more like the Savior as we apply them in our lives.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment